For me, today, December 1 is the official start of Christmas. As the converted and now great lover of the season of Christmas, here are my top ten loves about Christmas in no particular order.
1. The Sorrel. Even though it can be had right through the year now (thanks to TruJuice), there’s nothing like fresh, home-made sorrel. The smell of it boiling to the finished product … delicious. I’ll have to enjoy mine this year without the rum due to breastfeeding but it’s still good just the same.
2. The Christmas Movies. I have a few favourites, in order of preference, Elf, Home Alone 1, 2 & 3, Miracle on 34th Street and A Christmas Story. It is so warming to watch these movies, with a cup of hot chocolate with marshmallows in it (mi sound white nuh true)!
3. The Christmas Decorations. It is very nice to see a tastefully decorated house, office, store, street. That is one of the things I enjoy doing most with the BF. We always put up the decorations together. Awwwwwww ….
4. The Fruit/Christmas Cake. Yummmmmyyyyyyy.
5. The Christmas Carols. I’m so loving the very hip christmas carols, not only the traditional churchy ones but those that are just cheery and JOLLY. My favourite is “Rockin’ Around The Christmas Tree” by Brenda Lee.
6. The Children: Watching them with excitement as they walk on the plazas, looking at their favourite toys and saying “mummy, mi waan dat”. I’m awaiting those days with my son 🙂
7. The Food: Oh yes, nothing like a big roaster chicken, curried goat, roast/stewed beef, ham (sorry guys, not a big pork person hence Ham is last), gungo rice and peas, potato salad, macaroni & cheese, toss salad, steamed vegetables, topped off with fruit cake and rum and raisin ice cream. Mi belly buss already and it ain’t Christmas yet!!
8. The Giving: Although I believe in giving all year round, it is always good to see the pleasant faces of those people giving gifts. For me personally, it is give me a good feeling to see someone I’ve given a gift really appreciate it.
9. The Gathering of Family: I’m from a pretty small family so I can’t speak with authority on this subject. But I know for those who have larger families, this is the time of year the relatives come from all around the world to enjoy Christmas, true Jamaican style with generations of family.
10. The Gift of Christ. No explanation required.
Let The Season Begin!!!